Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Update from Kolkata

Update from Kolkata, from Mamma Mia! Me a Mamma?:

No updates on the dhobi's son. I plan on calling the father after the Durga Pujo gets over. I'd like to meet him. In the meanwhile, I've spoken to a close friend of mine whose brother happens to be an orthopaedic surgeon. I plan on visiting him with the reports and X-rays once I get my hands on them.

As for Aahana...sigh, bad news I'm afraid. Aahana's stomach tube has developed two holes. The doctors have done a temporary patch-up job, but it will need to be replaced within the next six months. The cost of the operation including three-four days at the hospital can amount to anything between Rs. 30 - 40,000/-. Purnima also said that we need to take into consideration, Aahana's frail health. Her last operation, as you all know, had her staying back at the hospital for six weeks. That may be a huge possibility here as well.

I spoke to Purnima's son. It was a much-needed conversation, because now I know exactly where they stand on the PF issues, the monetary needs and the guardianship issues. He is a huge help to the mother and he is leaving no stone unturned to try and get every last cent of his sister's money from wherever it may be stuck.

After the conversation with Mr. Goswami, it has become apparent that what is really the need of the hour, a lump sum of money that they can fall back on when situations as the above arise.

Fund-raising needs to start in earnest now. What with it being Durga Puja, maybe we can put up some posters in a few pandals all over the city.


Edited to add: If you would like to help Aahana or the dhobi's son with funds for both operations, do write in to us at info@indiahelps.org or indiahelps@gmail.com.

No comments: